Oh man, this was a dynamite dinner. I absolutely love Caribbean flavor- fresh, bold and double-delicious!. Jamaican "Jerk" is Caribbean BBQ. The dry rub has thyme, all spice, ginger, chipolte and brown sugar and the salsa has lime and jalapeno so you get all the best of Caribbean flavors in these babies . The tacos are finished with fresh mango salsa and crunchy cabbage in a toasty corn tortilla. We took this meal down fast and I was so sad when it was gone. I had 3 tacos and could have(and would have) easily had double.
Caribbean Jerk Chicken Tacos with Mango SalsaMakes 8 Tacos
Jerk Rub Seasoning
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon all spice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 to 1/2 (depending on how hot you want it) teaspoon dried chipolte chile pepper
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 Mangos (almost ripe), peeled and diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped (leave in the seeds if you want it hot)
Large handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
2 pinches of sugar
1 pinch of salt
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half, chopped into thin strips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 Yellow Corn Tortillas (My favorite, if they aren't homemade is Mission "Extra Thin" yellow corn).
2 cups green cabbage, sliced thin
1. Mix all of the dry rub ingredients together, toss well onto chicken strips and let marinate in the refridgerater for 2 to 4 hours.
2. Make the salsa- combine all ingredients, taste, adjust seasonings if necessary.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet and the vegetable oil over medium high heat, add chicken, saute for 3 minutes turn over and saute for about 3 minutes more. Turn off heat and cover until ready to serve.
4. Heat the tortiallas up individually in a skillet, letting them brown a little on each side.
5. Pile chicken, mango salsa and cabbage into tortilla.