BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Honey Whole Wheat Breadsticks with Honey Butter Glaze

 I know this is not the most attractive picture.  I dare say that these look like something that starts with a {P}, but we won't go there (or did I just do that already) and I was too hungry to take a good picture, and I can't post a great recipe without a photo.  However, these are extremely yummy, have a great texture, my kids loved them and the honey butter glaze puts them over the top.  This is a great go-to recipe that is healthier then your average breadstick and they will go with just about any meal. 

Honey Whole Wheat Breadsticks with Honey Glaze
Makes about 10 large breadsticks

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons honey

Glaze- 2 tablespoons of melted butter, mixed with 2 teaspoons of honey.

Proof yeast,warm water and sugar in the bowl of your mixer for 10 minutes.
Add flours, salt, olive oil and honey.  Mix until mix is combined and a soft dough begins to form.  Turn mixer up to medium and let dough knead for about 2 minutes (you can also do this by hand).  Place dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place for about 1 hour.  Punch dough down, cut into 2 pieces and divide each half evenly into 4 or 5 pieces.  Roll each piece into a ball and each ball into a long thin breadstick.  Place breadsticks onto sprayed baking sheet or a silpat mat and let rise again for about 30 minutes.  Bake for 14 to 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.  Remove from oven and brush immediately and generously with glaze. Serve warm.  They go great with pasta dishes like this or this or this

6 comments:

sarahbclark! said...

rhandi, this is definitely going on my dinner menu for this week. yummy!

Annie said...

I made these for dinner last night, we loved them. I doubled the glaze and we all put extra on (so good). This recipe will be a regular.

SweetmakemeSmile said...

I love making bread. Even it isn't always turn out good. I will have to make this one day :) Look, how yummy it is! :) hungry already :}

Stacie Aho said...

I made these last week and they were delish! My mom and Merritt thought they tasted like donuts. :) YUM!

Christina said...

Despite how it looks, I'm going to say they probably taste great! I like the honey butter glaze.

Rhandi said...

Thanks Christina :) I am glad you liked them Stacie, funny that M thought they tasted like donuts, I wish they tasted like my favorite food!