Alrighty, time to step away from our Halloween sugar over-load for a moment and talk about pure comfort food with a gourmet twist. I really should be posting something super healthy to balance out my (our) over dose of candy and pumpkin goodies, but I have really been wanting to post this creamy, dreamy, straight to the hips dinner for a while now. Roasted Cauliflower really goes well with cheesy pasta, I love the combination. The Bachemel base allows you to use a lot less cheese but it doesn't taste any less cheesy. The sauce also sticks really well to the pasta (a bad recipe is too oily and the cheese doesn't adhere to the pasta well enough). This is a great balance of creamy, cheesy deliciousness with a touch of gourmet when you toss in the roasted cauliflower. Just right with a salad on a cool winter night. Enjoy! PS- Kitchen to table in about 30 minutes.
** My husband ate the leftovers the next day with chopped turkey bacon we had leftover from breakfast, I took a bite, it rocked. A great way to add meat if you are a "it's not a meal without meat" kind of cook or you just love bacon.
Creamy Bachemel Mac N Cheese with Roasted CauliflowerServes 8 to 10 (recipe can easily be cut in half)
1 stick butter
1/2 plus two tablespoons flour
4 cups of milk
1 cup cheddar
1 cup mozzarella
1 pound dry macaroni pasta
sea salt and white pepper to taste
1 head Cauliflower
About 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Start your water for the pasta
3. Cut head of cauliflower into bite size pieces. Place on baking sheet and toss in a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast at 400 for 12 to 15 minutes. Cauliflower should be slightly soft but still hard enough to hold it's shape well and not feel "mushy". Just taste one
4. In the meantime, Cook pasta according to package directions.
5. In the meantime, make the sauce.
6. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add flower while whisking, whisk until smooth, this should take about 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and whisk continually until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of your spoon. Remove from heat add cheeses and season with salt and pepper. Toss in cauliflower and serve while hot.