BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Flemmings Steak House Cheesy Potatoes {Best Easter Dinner Side}

Where do I begin with these cheesy, creamy, rich sticks of potato perfection?  Well, I must start by saying they are my very favorite potato dish on the planet, hands down, no potato dish beats this one for me.  I especially love them with ham,  so these are the official Easter Potatoes when I am cooking.  Man alive, there is just something to be said about good ol ham and potatoes, these are my gourmet version of the ultimate comfort food.

The subtlety of the leeks, jalapeno and white pepper along with the obvious over abundance of cheese and cream is spot on. This recipe was inspired by a potato dish I had at Flemmings Steakhouse on my honeymoon (almost 8 years ago).  When I got home I scoured the internet for Flemmings Potatoes and found a bunch of different recipes.  I experimented with what I found and came up with theses bad boys.  Yes, they are bad boys, very, very bad.  I am sure they have enough calories to sustain an entire family for a week.  Hence, I make them once a year on Easter and maybe one other time if special occasion arises .  Calories don't count on Holidays, so if you are looking for a potato recipe for Easter Sunday (or any other holiday or special ham occasion),  look no further.  Say goodbye to those old fashioned scalloped potatoes or frozen hash-brown  processed cheesy ickyness. Take a walk on the gourmet side of potatoes, once you do, you will never turn back. 

Flemmings Steak House Cheesy Potatoes
Serves 8 to 12.  
4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced according to prep instructions bellow.  
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup half and half
3 cups good quality cheddar cheese or sharp cheddar cheese, plus 1 1/2  cups reserved (or a little extra if you feel like getting carried away) for sprinkling on top
3/4 cup, thinly sliced leeks (white stalks only, no green) 
1 small jalapeno, seeded, and finely diced
2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
2 teaspoons white pepper

Prep:
Peel potatoes, cut in half lengthwise.  Cut each half in half lengthwise again, making 4 pieces.  Cut each piece into match stick slices about 1/2 inch thick.  

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 and spray 9 X13 glass baking dish.
2. Place cream, half and half, salt, pepper in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stir frequently, being careful not to burn.
3. Place jalapeno, leeks and cheese in a large mixing bowl.  Add cream mixture, mix well.  Add potatoes and mix to combine all ingredients.
4.  Spread mixture evenly into prepared baking dish and cover tightly with foil.
5. Cook for 60 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, remove foil and top generously with cheddar cheese.
6. Place back in the oven and bake uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. 
** These always seam to take a little longer to cook then my recipe says, so give yourself a little extra time, just in case, it also depends on how thick you cut the potatoes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If they are anything like your creamy enchiladas they are going to be fabulous! I've been looking for a great scalloped potato type recipe so I am going to try this! Thanks for posting and Happy Easter to you and yours!- Trish

Rhandi said...

Thanks Trish! Those black bean enchiladas are pretty killer! I am glad you liked them! I think you will be very happy eating these with your ham Happy Eater to you as well!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! good to see u blogging again because you are a great cook!

Anonymous said...

Sound's delish! I am going to give it a try! Hopefully I can blow everybodys minds since Easter is at our house this year and I'm a horrible cook! Lol Betty Crocker scalloped taters is the norm in my house! Lol..... holidays are not at my house often! I usually bring the ice and paper plates! So here we go Flemings Steak House yumminess!!! ;) HAPPY EASTER RHANDI! - Jenna k.

Rhandi said...

Go Jenna, way to step away from boxed potatoes. I hope you love them as much as I do. Good luck hosting Easter, I am sure it will go great!

Chris said...

With all that cream, I know I'd love these things!