BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 16, 2012

Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette


I love salad, really, I love salad.  I am just one of those weirdos.  Even as a little girl, when I was 5 years old, I would order a salad for dinner at pretty much any restaurant we went too.  Oddly enough,, my favorite thing to order was a pancake and a dinner salad.  As an adult, I imagine my 5 year old asking the waitress for a pancake and a dinner salad and I have a good laugh.  I have to admit, I still have been known revert back to my 5 year old ways.  Seriously though, I love gourmet salads and I realized I never put salad recipes on my blog.  It's usually because I don't have a recipe, it's just a bunch of yummies thrown together in a bowl. Every great salad should be finished with a great dressing!

This strawberry delight is healthy, flavorful and super simple to make.  It goes great on any spring or summer salad, especially one with fruit. My favorite is a spinach salad with strawberries, green apples, crasins, red onions and toasted or candied nuts. Plus, it's low calorie.  While there is a time a place for a calorie loaded steak and blue cheese salad (um, yum), it's nice to have go to dressings that are tasty and low cal, especially with summer around the corner,  Time to get your sexy back . . . .

**A little trick for this dressing is using prepackaged frozen strawberries.  If you let them sit out and thaw, they get extra concentrated with their own juice and flavor and it really creates a bolder strawberry flavor. 

Fresh Strawberry Vinaigrette 
1/2 cup defrosted, prepackaged frozen strawberries (a mixture of the juice and berries)
2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
6 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tabespoons red onion
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth and combined.  Stir or shake before pouring on salad.  Best served fresh but will keep for a day or two in the refrigerator.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good! I like the salad you made with it, on the dinner menu this week!

Velva said...

I love salad too. This strawberry vinaigrette over a bed of fresh spinach and pecans would rock...Oh yes, with sliced strawberries too.

Velva

Rhandi said...

Thanks Velva. Yes, it's my favorite with pecans and spinach too!