BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, April 13, 2012

Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables and White Balsamic Honey Vinaigrette


After an overdose of sugar Easter weekend that trickled into the first half of the week,  I am long overdue to get back to my healthy roots. When I used to train full time, my clients would get so scared about healthy foods.  I got a lot of "you aren't going to make me eat cardboard are you?".  Pheesh, a foodie like me, I am never going to make anyone eat cardboard health.

In honor of healthy food that tastes great, I am dedicating the rest of Spring to super healthy and tasty recipes that complement the season.  To kick things off  I share with you a fab salad that I threw together the other night. The roasted vegetables and slighty sweet and tangy vinaigrette make this quinoa salad a new favorite. It's hearty enough to eat as a main course but also a great side with your protein of choice ( I served it with grilled chicken).  It's also ready from scratch to table in just about 30 minutes.  This would be great with really any roasted vegetables so use whatever is in your fridge.  Enjoy!

I am new to the tutorial pic world, but here are a few hints about dicing and slicing.

Dice up your vegetables into 1/2 inch squares,and place them on a big sheet pan-


Toss them with EVOO and salt and pepper-


Cook them for about 13 to 15 minutes at 400 degrees.  Until they look like this bellow-still colorful and slightly firm overcooking will take out all of their flavor too!


Chop up your basil while you are waiting for the quinoa and vegetables to cook.


That's all of the tutorial pics I have for this one.  Toss the quinoa, vegetables, vinaigrette and basil all together and you get this beauty-


Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables and White Balsamic Honey Vinaigrette

3 cups cooked quinoa, cooked in chicken broth (1 1/2 cups dry with 3 1/4 cups chicken broth)
1/2 cup carrots, diced small
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced small
1/2 cup  asparagus, diced small
1/3 cup red onion, diced small
1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Freshly cracked pepper to taste
Sea Salt to taste

White Balsamic Honey Vinaigrette 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
Pinch of pepper 
Pinch of pepper

1.  Cook quinoa as instructed except replace water with chicken broth
2.  While quinoa is cooking prepare the vegetables and vinaigrette as instructed.
3.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Chop vegetables into a small dice, keeping them uniform in size.
4.  Place vegetables into a sheet pan and toss with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5.  Cook for 13 minutes, or until fragrant and still slightly al dente.
6. While vegetables and quinoa are cooking, place vinaigrette ingredients in a small container with a tight fitting lid, shake well for about 30 seconds.
7. Chop fresh basil.
8.  When quinoa and vegetables are done  cooking toss together and then toss together with vinaigrette and finally with fresh basil.  Serve at room temperature.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I made this over the weekend. It was fantastic and I felt like I was really eating something healthy- 2 thumbs up!

Anonymous said...

Sounds super yummy, going to try and make it soon. Thanks!