BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 2, 2012

Reese's Peanut Butter Bars


I can hardly believe that is has been almost 5 months since I have posted.  It's really a shame because many good eats have come and gone through my kitchen since then. I am still getting used to juggling this 3 kiddo thing- between cleaning bums, kissing my sweet baby girl, refereeing 2 very active little boys and training for a marathon on top of everything, not much time has been left for my neglected food blog.  Things like this delicious Reese's bar and a crisp Diet Coke get me through my extra crazy days!  As a professional health nut, I can only warn you against my wicked ways of coping, however as a crazy, busy Mom, I say go for it! 

These bars are seriously incredible, addicting, over the top yummy and double-delicious  (I know I just used a lot of verbs but it had to be done). It's quite amazing, they taste exactly like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.  To sweeten the deal, they are even super easy to make and take less then 10 minutes to put together.  I served them at 2 parties this weekend and everyone was in chocolate peanut butter bliss, requesting the recipe.    

Since it's Monday, I will do you a favor and start your to-do list for the week- 1. Make Reese's Peanut Buttercup Bars and 2. Exercise really hard (because you won't be able to eat just 1 or 2).  I wish my ginormous list was that short and simple, here's to dreaming . . 



Reese's Peanut Butter Bars
2  cups (or about 2 packages graham crackers) fine graham cracker crumbs
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks butter), melted
1 cup, plus 5 tablespoons peanut butter, divided. 
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Non-stick cooking spray
*If you want to make this gluten free, substitute gluten free graham crackers in the crust.    

Prep:If using whole graham crackers (my recommendation) , pulse them in a food processor until they are fine crumbs, do this in 2 batches (1 package at a time).
In a medium microwave safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave, after mixing butter into the recipe, reserve bowl for a second use.

1. First, spray the bottom and side of a 9X13 pan well with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.  Combine graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar, 1 cup peanut butter and melted butter in a large bowl.  Mix until moistened and mixture is well combined and sticks together. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of a 13X9 pan into an even crust.  Set aside.

2. Using the bowl you used to melt the butter, add in the chocolate chips and  5 tablespoons of peanut butter.  Melt the chocolate mixture in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth, being careful not to burn.

3. Pour melted chocolate mixture evenly over the peanut butter crust.  Let cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour.  If you are running low on time, you can stick them in the freezer and they should be ready in about 30 minutes.

4. Cut into squares and serve.

* Since they are no bake, I recommend storing them in the fridge until ready to serve, they will hold their shape and texture better.

*Also, they are a great make ahead dessert and can be made a day or two in advance.


15 comments:

Molly W said...

Just made these for FHE tonight. They are as amazing as you made them sound and they do taste just like Reeses! Thanks for the great recipe.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Super easy and we all loved them- what a hit!

Stacie Aho said...

Made these last night. They are very yummy. :) I'm such a sucker for chocolate and peanut butter!! One thing I'll do next time is line the pan with foil and spray it with baking spray, so I can pull all the bars out at once when I'm ready to cut them. These stinkers were hard to get out of the pan without breaking them or having the chocolate layer come off. Did you have that problem?

Rhandi said...

Stacie, I am glad you liked them. I have made them twice and my layers have not come apart at all. Hmmm??? I will have to think on that one.

They are kind of hard to get out of the pan but I just took them out slowly and with extra TLC and they were fine. I probably should have included that in the directions (I think I will make that edit). Foil and spray is a great idea, that will make them much easier and quicker to cut. I do that with most of my baked bar recipes. Thanks for the good suggestion!

Rochelle and Mitch Laubaugh said...

I can quite thinking about these! HEAVEN! I made these last night and naturally just ate one for breakfast :) Mine came out super easy (I used pam spray) and didn't have any issues with chocolate layer :) Thank you for this!!

Anonymous said...

Rhandi, I think i'll make these and take them straight to the neighbors! Oh my these sound delicious--i could not be trusted with them in the house!--When u run your marathon you should have someone waiting at the end with a pan of these - u will run a lot faster!
Trish

Anonymous said...

nice opinion.. thanks for sharing...

They call me grandma said...

Rhandi,

Thank you for the recipe. We have grand children staying with us this week and after seeing Kendra's kids down these I know this bunch will enjoy them too--a new family favorite. I enjoyed visiting with you last week. Thank you for being a good friend to Kendra and Michael.

Marta

Chris said...

Oh wow, those look so good. I'd love to put a small scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of one and have at it.

sarahbclark! said...

making these right now! i wish i'd read the comments beforehand and sprayed the pan. oh well. i'm sure they'll be ok. :) thanks for sharing the recipe!

Rhandi said...

Marta- thank you! I am so glad they we a hit!

Rhandi said...

Sarah- thanks for the reminder, I added a step to the recipe. Yes, I am sure they turned out great, as I have never made them with Pam. However, sounds easier so I will next time.

Anonymous said...

I tried to make these with generic crackers (for the crust) the second time and they did not turn out nearly as amazing. Use honeymaid, they are perfect with that! Name brand brings them from an 8 to a 10.

Anonymous said...

I did make these and they were delicious! They do taste like a Reeses only you know exactly what is in them so that is a plus. Very rich so you don't need many! I just kept mine in the frig and they keep quite awhile because there isn't anything in them that will spoil/ Thanks so much as always for posting! Trish

Sandy said...

Found these via Pinterest!! They are amazing! Used honey maid graham crackers.