These bars are seriously incredible, addicting, over the top yummy and double-delicious (I know I just used a lot of verbs but it had to be done). It's quite amazing, they taste exactly like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. To sweeten the deal, they are even super easy to make and take less then 10 minutes to put together. I served them at 2 parties this weekend and everyone was in chocolate peanut butter bliss, requesting the recipe.
Since it's Monday, I will do you a favor and start your to-do list for the week- 1. Make Reese's Peanut Buttercup Bars and 2. Exercise really hard (because you won't be able to eat just 1 or 2). I wish my ginormous list was that short and simple, here's to dreaming . .
2 cups (or about 2 packages graham crackers) fine graham cracker crumbs
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks butter), melted
1 cup, plus 5 tablespoons peanut butter, divided.
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Non-stick cooking spray
*If you want to make this gluten free, substitute gluten free graham crackers in the crust.
Prep:If using whole graham crackers (my recommendation) , pulse them in a food processor until they are fine crumbs, do this in 2 batches (1 package at a time).
In a medium microwave safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave, after mixing butter into the recipe, reserve bowl for a second use.
1. First, spray the bottom and side of a 9X13 pan well with non-stick cooking spray, set aside. Combine graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar, 1 cup peanut butter and melted butter in a large bowl. Mix until moistened and mixture is well combined and sticks together. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of a 13X9 pan into an even crust. Set aside.
2. Using the bowl you used to melt the butter, add in the chocolate chips and 5 tablespoons of peanut butter. Melt the chocolate mixture in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth, being careful not to burn.
3. Pour melted chocolate mixture evenly over the peanut butter crust. Let cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour. If you are running low on time, you can stick them in the freezer and they should be ready in about 30 minutes.
4. Cut into squares and serve.
* Since they are no bake, I recommend storing them in the fridge until ready to serve, they will hold their shape and texture better.
*Also, they are a great make ahead dessert and can be made a day or two in advance.