BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Triple Citrus Bars


Kitchen inspiration and ideas take me to my happy place and keep me sane.   Sometimes they come to me in the middle of the day or late at night and I quickly sketch them down on whatever I can find .  Often I find little notes of made up recipes in an old purse, in my kitchen junk drawer, or tucked into a book that I have yet to actually make.  This wonderful jewel of a summer treat happened kind of like that.  I made something similar 2 summers ago and never wrote down the recipe (I do that a lot).  I kind of forgot about them until I recently found an old picture that I took.  This time, in my re-creation, I have "upped the ante" by adding lemon, lime and orange. Boy did they turn out dreamy- moist, tart and sweet with a fresh burst of citrus. At first I thought I would call them a citrus brownie, but that doesn't sound quite right or do them justice.  So, I bring you Triple Citrus Bars, a delightful new treat to try out for your next cookout with friends or on a random Thursday night (like me) when you have a sweet tooth and are itching to get creative in the kitchen.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I am! 

Triple Citrus Bars 
(For this entire dish, you will need approximately 1 lime, 3 oranges and 5 lemons)

1 teaspoon lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 sticks (or 1 cup) butter, softened
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/12 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Citrus Glaze
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice 
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
1 1/2  hefty cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate (can be thawed or frozen, does not matter)

Directions
1. In a medium bowl combine flour, salt and baking soda, whisk well with wire wisk, set side.
2.  Zest all of your citrus, divide as necessary for the bars and the glaze.  Set aside.
3. Using the same fruit that you zested, juice the fruit and divide into proper amounts as necessary for the bars and glaze. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add softened butter and stir on low until butter is combined.  Add eggs, sugar, zest and juice.  Mix on medium speed for about 1 minute until ingredients are well combined and creamy. 
4. Add in flower mixer and stir into wet ingreidents by hand, with a wooden spoon.  Stir until combined and no dry crumbs remain, being careful not to over mix.
5.  Pour mixture into a greased or sprayed 9 X 13 pyrex glass baking dish.
6. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, no longer, toothpick inserted should come out clean. 
7. While bars are cooking, make the glaze.
8.  Lets bars cool completely and pour an even thin layer of glaze over the bars, spreading as necessary with a flat spatula.  * If  you are waiting a couple of hours to serve the bars, wait to pour the glaze until close to serving time. 

*For the Glaze:
Mix all ingredients well in electric mixer with paddle or in a large bowl using a hand mixer.

3 comments:

RSA Australia said...

Wow! It looks very delicious.

Pam said...

Yum~these look so good I can almost smell the citrus!

Ashanti said...

One of yummiest recipies you have shared with us so far.
Dhow cruise Dubai